You could say the TV series Yellowstone has taken the world by storm. The show is based in Montana and people have not only fallen in love with the beautiful scenery of the great outdoors but many of the characters as well. It’s created a desire for strong and bold western baby names that are reminiscent of old western times as well as the modern ranching & homesteading lifestyles.
I know that choosing the perfect name for your new little cowboy or little cowgirl can feel daunting, so I’ve compiled my favorite baby boy and baby girl names for you that are sure to age well and keep the spirit of the American Old West alive!
90+ Western Baby Names
Maybe you’re in search of the perfect 19th century, western baby girl name inspired by some of the strong women from the Wild West. Or maybe, you’re looking for something more modern with that western flare. Whether you want the bad boy, Butch Cassidy, in The Sundance Kid vibe or you’re looking for a Lone Ranger type of cowboy name – we’ve got you covered.
Top 10 Western Names
- Wyatt – This name is inspired by Wyatt Earp, one of the most famous 19th-century historical figures of the American West. He is best known for his participation in a notorious gunfight at the OK Corral.
- Annie – Inspired by the 19th-century American sharpshooter who rose to fame in Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show, Annie Oakley. She was a female pioneer who played a significant role in shaping the future of women.
- Jesse – The western origin of this name is from the notorious bank and train robber in the American Old West, Jesse James. He was an American outlaw and became a legend of the Old West when he was killed by Robert Ford in 1882.
- Pearl – As in, Pearl Hart, who drew her inspiration from Annie Oakley. She was famously named, “The Bandit Queen,” after she was caught robbing a stagecoach in Arizona and then escaping from jail.
- Wayne – Need I say more? This is simply a classic.
- Beth – Straight from the Yellowstone series, Beth (short for Bethany) plays the role of a bold and loyal daughter.
- Marshall – This name means “master of horses,” and fitting for a country baby boy name. If you’re looking for the “good guys,” from the Wild West, U.S. Marshals were the ones chasing outlaws on horseback during that time.
- Cassidy- This gender-neutral name, comes from the famed outlaw, Butch Cassidy. He was another western bad boy.
- Dakota – Derived from the name of the native peoples from the American Plains speaking a Siouan language, the name is often translated to “allies” or “friendly.” It was recorded by Lewis and Clark in 1809.
- Weston – This name is an old English surname that means Western Town. It’s gained serious popularity over the last 5 years
Aside from these popular and classic names, we have a list of 80 western names that you’ll love!
Western Baby Boy Names
Western Baby Girl Names
These names are certainly reminiscent of the American Old West, homestead times, western stagecoach journeys, and more from the 19th century. However, even if you aren’t planning on letting your baby grow up to be a cowboy, these names are timeless and bold.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s a typical cowboy name?
Names like Bowen, John, Beau, Levi, and Rhett are typical cowboy names.
What are the top 10 cowboy names?
These are the top 10 cowboy and cowgirl names:
What were popular names in the Wild West?
Some popular names in the Wild West were Cassidy, Colt, Morgan, and Wayne.
You Might Also Like:
Pin for Later – 90 Western Baby Names [For All The Yellowstone Fans Out There!]